It Takes A Villiage to Raise a Capital Trail...
Every organization has a dedicated team of volunteers that help accomplish a lot of the day to day goals, run programming, and get the word out about local events. The Virginia Capital Trail is no different, though our volunteers get a great opportunity to spend time enjoying the outdoors. We’re currently looking to expand our volunteer program, the Trail Ambassadors.
The Trail Ambassadors, founded in 2012, are a volunteer organization dedicated to expanding and improving the user experience on the Capital Trail. Their duties include:
· Concierge services: advise users on the amenities, water stops, views, tourist spots, etc.
· Safety Advice (Please see the Rules of the Road)
· First Aid Administration, including dialing 911, if the situation warrants
· Minor Bike Repair: flat tire fixes, recommendations for local bike shops
· Trail Reporting: Trail conditions, necessary repairs, all reported to VCTF
· Litter Pickup
What Do I Do?
Our expectations are straightforward, and easy to meet:
· Two, 2-hour training sessions
· Two patrols per month, April-October (no minimum required length)
The Trail Ambassadors Program is available to anyone looking to spend a little time helping others on the trail. You’ll be issued a vest, identification cards and a first aid kit, and you’re ready to hit the road. You will need your own bike, but Ambassadors can run or walk as well. It takes all kinds.