What are the trail rules?
- Motorized vehicles are not permitted.
- Be courteous and predictable to other trail users at all times.
- Keep right, always pass on the left, giving audible warning to pedestrians, skaters and other bicyclists.
- Maintain single file when others are within 100'.
- Keep dogs on leash when walking near a trail and clean up after your pet.
Bicyclists and Skaters
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Give audible warning when passing pedestrians, skaters, or bicyclists.
- Ride and skate at a safe speed.
- Slow down and form a single file line in congested conditions, reduced visibility, and other hazardous conditions.
- Speed Limit: 15 mph
- Please stay to the right side of the trail except when otherwise designated.
- Watch for other trail users.
- Be especially alert when running.
- Listen for audible signals and allow faster trail users (runners and bicyclists) to pass safely.
Report illegal activities to the appropriate police:
- James City County: 757-253-1800
- Charles City County: 804-652-4701
- Henrico County: 804-501-5000
- City of Richmond: 804-646-5100
To report maintenance and safety concerns, call 804-788-6455
or Click Below
Is the trail suitable for large groups?
Yes. But we do ask that you remain in single file and stay to the right, do not exceed the speed limit of 15 miles per hour and be aware of other users.
Is the trail free?
Yes! Usage of the trail is completely free, but because we are a nonprofit organization, we depend on contributions from people like you. Any donation is greatly appreciated and we hope you enjoy your experience!
Am I allowed to bring my pet with me on the trail?
Pets are allowed on the trail but they must be on a leash and owners must clean up after them.
Do pedestrians and bikers share the trail?
Yes, pedestrians, bikers, dog-walkers, etc. all share the trail. With so many different user types, knowing the trail rules and being courteous goes a long way toward a safe experience.
Is the trail wheelchair accessible?
Yes, the trail is wheelchair accessible and battery operated wheelchairs are permitted.
Where can I rent a bike?
There are several bike rental operations along the trail. Check out our full listing below.
Are E-bikes allowed?
Yes. E-bikes are allowed. If you’d like to rent one, see below!
Can I bring my moped/motorcycle/golf cart to the trail?
No. The Virginia Capital Trail is a multi-use trail suitable for non-motorized activities only.